[kicad-users] Because it appears everybody is using the Forums instead...
walter2@sphere.bc.ca [kicad-users]
2018-01-24 22:34:53 UTC
Yahoo groups have had a lot of problems, and others, like the Tektronix users group have fled to groups.io

however, in the case of KiCad, I think the real answer is that all comments and questions are now on the KiCad FORUM, thus insuring that well qualified answers are forthcoming.

you can see it here: http://kicad-pcb.org/community/sites/#_forums http://kicad-pcb.org/community/sites/#_forums
in general, I think all Q/A activity is now tied right to the web site at:
http://kicad-pcb.org/ http://kicad-pcb.org/

I believe that the best results will be found by this method, alond with timely u0pdates and library resources
all the best,
walter
sphere research corp.
ianbell@ukfsn.org [kicad-users]
2018-03-16 18:06:32 UTC
Yahoo groups, including this one work fine. There are no problems with yahoo and groups.io offers nothing new.

Cheers

Ian
gnuarm.2007@arius.com [kicad-users]
2018-03-16 18:38:55 UTC
I don't know if you are a member of other Yahoo groups, but I am and I have seen problems in many of them. The problems range from temporary disappearance of files or photos to missing messages. Sometimes things are down for a week or more. I'm in a couple of groups that have moved over to groups.io and not one group owner, user or moderator has complained.

Rick C.

Ian
ianbell@ukfsn.org [kicad-users]
2018-03-17 15:20:10 UTC
I am a member of about a dozen Yahoo groups and moderator or owner of five. There have been no problems with any of these groups. All the groups I am a member of have well policed spam policies and I suspect it is lack of these that has caused other groups to have problems. This is not a fault of yahoo and other mailing lists like groups.io will be just as susceptible to them if the moderators do not do their jobs properly.

I repeat, there have been no problems with the Kicad group or any other group of which I am a member.

Cheers

Ian
gnuarm.2007@arius.com [kicad-users]
2018-03-17 15:59:12 UTC
I don't know how groups.io works, but I know for a fact that anyone can bomb any Yahoo group and there is no way to stop them. I have done this to demonstrate it clearly flagging that this was only a demonstration and I still got booted from the group, so I won't do that here. I can send an email with any members email address in the "from" field. Unless the group is 100% moderated the email will go through and reach everyone in the group. I suspect if you use the moderator's email address it would bypass moderation and go directly to the group.

I don't really care if a handful of groups that you moderate have seen no problems, the problems are well documented and not at all infrequent. Yahoo has a clear reputation for being one of the worst mailing list based social networking sites around. I haven't moved any of the groups I moderate, but at the first sign of trouble in any of them, I will move them all. I'm not waiting for the horse to be stolen in every group before I close the barn door. Besides, once I tried using groups.io I found it to be a better site anyway.

Rick C.
Andy Eskelson andyyahoo@g0poy.co.uk [kicad-users]
2018-03-17 23:04:13 UTC
I have seen many complaints regarding groups, but for myself I've not
seen anything major.

The main issue I've seen moaned about stems from the NEO web interface.

I'm wondering if the problems stem from using the web interface.
I use the messages by email, and always have, so if it is the web
interface I won't see any problems.

Andy

Rick C.
Pedro Martin pkicad@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
2018-03-18 16:37:21 UTC
Hi Ian, Rick, Andy, Walter....

The "problem" in my opinion is not whether yahoo groups has issues or not.

This list has almost no traffic. Maybe new kicad users like the forum
more than they like the list. Or maybe we know everything about kicad
and we haven't questions anymore.

Cheers,
Pedro.
Post by Andy Eskelson ***@g0poy.co.uk [kicad-users]
[...]

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
kicad-users-***@yahoogroups.com

2018-03-18 19:07:05 UTC
As with many comments the original context gets hijacked with other
comments :-)

I had a quick peek at the forum some weeks ago via the web interface, and
it does seem to have a lot of members, so maybe people have moved over
to it.

It does have a message to email function, so it would work with the way
I prefer to run groups, but I just haven't got around to joining and
trying it out as yet.

I expect that there are still enough people lurking hereabout to give
anyone the necessary pointers.

Andy

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:37:21 +0100
Post by Pedro Martin ***@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
[...]