[kicad-users] Question on off - position data
'Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza' dieter.jurzitza@t-online.de [kicad-users]
2018-04-03 19:57:35 UTC
Dear listmembers,
I just finished my first project using kicad and I am really impressed about it's
features.

However, when taking a 3D - look onto my project I found that the through - hole
connectors are off - position, apparently penetrating the PCB at locations they
should not be.

I attached two pictures (hopefully not too big), one from the top side, one from the
solder side of the PCB. I marked the off - position parts by the help of arrows. The
"normal" view including the Gerber data look totally normal.
Is this an user error? Would some kind person let me know what I did wrong and
how this may be corrected? How can I avoid this to happen in the future?

Thank you very much for your support,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza
Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza 76131 Karlsruhe
Levente leventelist@gmail.com [kicad-users]
2018-04-04 10:19:25 UTC
I bet you have some strange things with your models. I recommend upgrading
KiCad and the library to 4.0.7.

What version are you using?

Bernd Wiebus bernd.wiebus@gmx.de [kicad-users]
2018-04-06 20:41:16 UTC
Hello Dieter.
Post by 'Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza' ***@t-online.de [kicad-users]
Is this an user error?
At first it looks for me like a library error. Means a missmatch
between fotprint anchor and 3D modell anchor and/or a missmatch in the
3D modell scaling.

If the 3D modell or the footprint is not made or altered by you, it
will likely not be your error.
Post by 'Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza' ***@t-online.de [kicad-users]
Would some
kind person let me know what I did wrong and how this may be
corrected? How can I avoid this to happen in the future?
Look at the footprints, where the error ocurs with the footprint editor.

At the upper button bar, there is a button "footprint properties". By
activating, you will get a window named ""footprint properties". There
are two sliders, and one is named "3D settings". There you can choose a
3D modell ("wrl") and adjust the offset of anchorpoint, scale and
rotation of the model.

If all is correct with the librarys, all values there should be zero.

Most problems occure with the anchorpoint.
The anchorpoint of a THT footprint/3D Modell should be pin 1, and the
"center" of the part for SMD.

Another missmatch mostly occures with the scale, because the measures
for the footprints are at inch/10, and often the masures for models are
in mm. So often a factor of either 2,54 or 0,3937 will help.

With best regards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic
http://www.l02.de

Am Tue, 03 Apr 2018 21:57:35 +0200
Dieter Jurzitza
Pedro Martin pkicad@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
2018-04-10 11:07:36 UTC

I'm sorry I have not answered early.

Which Kicad version are you running?

Nightly version (now v5.0.0-rc2-dev) has an better 3D manager than
version 4.0.7.

Anyway, all the problems pointed out by Bernd can be solved with
kicad-stepup, a killer application for managing 3D models and footprints.

You need Freecad 0.17. Kicad-stepup comes a a Freecad workench.

Kicad-stepup has many functions, but the basic ones are:
-import in Freecad the kicad footprint
-import the in Freecad the 3D model
-alignment of the 3D model and the footprint along the 3 axis
-export the .step and .wrl models with the right scaling.

This video is old but helps to understand how it works.

Regards,
Pedro.
Post by Bernd Wiebus ***@gmx.de [kicad-users]
Hello Dieter.
[...]

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
kicad-users-***@yahoogroups.com

2018-04-10 20:48:02 UTC
Hello Pedro.
Post by Pedro Martin ***@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
I'm sorry I have not answered early.
No Problem.
Post by Pedro Martin ***@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
Which Kicad version are you running?
Very old:

Application: kicad
Version: (2017-06-16 revision dab73e1)-master, release build
Libraries: wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.38.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1t zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.29
libssh2/1.4.3 librtmp/2.3 Platform: Linux 3.16.0-5-686-pae i686, 32
bit, Little endian, wxGTK
- Build Info -
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.55.0
Curl: 7.38.0
KiCad - Compiler: GCC 4.9.2 with C++ ABI 1002
Settings: USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
Post by Pedro Martin ***@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
Nightly version (now v5.0.0-rc2-dev) has an better 3D manager than
version 4.0.7.
I have a problem to compile them at debian because of the issue with
the missing ngspice libraries. i tried also to compile ngspice to get
this libraries, but run in other problems with dependencies.

im not an experienced C/c++ programmer, so i refused and wait, until i
get a ref 5 from the repository.

With best rgards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic
Hi,
http://youtu.be/O6vr8QFnYGw
[...]
Yahoo Groups Links