[kicad-users] Symbol Creation Format
Derek derek@q40.de [kicad-users]
2018-09-13 11:27:47 UTC

I am learning how to create schematic symbols using the Component Library Editor.

The proces for creation of schematic symbols is easy to use. But I need some advice on the format of the creation of a symbol for a Lattice MACH 230.

The MACH 230 is a 84 pin PLCC, which the pin connections are:

64 I/O pins
6 Vcc pins
8 GND
4 CLOCK / Input
2 Input

I started out creating the smybol as detailed in the Datasheet, but have read the KiCad Library Convention.

Section S4.2 indicates that pins should be grouped by function.

If I follow the convention, all 64 I/O pins will be grouped together.

Is this the correct way to create the symbol?

There are symbols availble on Github that do not follow this convention.
--
Regards,
Derek
Andy Eskelson andyyahoo@g0poy.co.uk [kicad-users]
2018-09-14 00:19:15 UTC
The correct way is often the way that works for you.

Devices like PLCCs are not really the same as something like a LS7400
where all the pins have a specific fixed functions.

With PLCC's and uP's it makes for much better reading if the pins are
named for the function that they are providing for the project.

i.e. If I use a PIC microcontroller for a project, I would grab the
basic component, make a copy and name the pins for what I need, such as
display1, 2, 3, temp-sensor1, speed-sensor etc. This makes it much easier
to read the circuit rather than seeing a pin that can be configured for
multiple functions and wondering what I decided to use it for.
(Especially when coming back to the design after a while)

In the case of the 230, it would seem to make most sense to
group the i/o pins into the 8 pin blocks as per the datasheet and leave
it at that.

The Vcc's can be grouped, as can the other few functions. You don't really
want to mix other functions within the general purpose i/o, that just
makes drawing up the circuit rather messy.

Andy

Hi,
Derek
'info@drukknop.nl' info@drukknop.nl [kicad-users]
2018-09-14 06:01:37 UTC
this will be a pita very soon as you end up using the same item over and
over again in an new project with different functions. I always label my
wires with their functions so i end op having named tracks on my pcb as
well. the part itself is not changed.

Simon
Post by Andy Eskelson ***@g0poy.co.uk [kicad-users]
[...]
Met vriendelijke Groet,

Simon Claessen
drukknop.nl

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
kicad-users-***@yahoogroups.com

2018-09-14 10:50:43 UTC
YMMV

I find naming the pins on the device very useful.

Each project is unique, and I have no problems in creating a specific
component for each project. Like you I also name wires.

It's nice to have the choice :-)

Andy

Yahoo Groups Links
Jorge Ferreira jorgef.tech@gferreira.eu [kicad-users]
2018-09-15 21:21:58 UTC
Hi

I think I play in the 2 leagues.
I reduce the pin naming to the function in use and the name the net
acording to were its connected to.

For example, a PIC pin described in the datasheet as "RC4/C3OUT/TX/CK",
gets its name reduced to "RC4" and the wire (net) named "LED_1" or
"LED_1_OUT".

In devices with configurble I/O like a microcontroller I simply find it
too clumsy to use the full list of features on eve1ry project.
In my main library I use the full datasheet naming, but for the
schematic I make a copy of the symbol to a project specific library and
then adjust the pin namings to the project specific usage, and even move
the pins around in order to have the inputs on the left side and the
outputs to the right side.

But, thats just my way, and like in almost everything in life each one
has is own preferences.

Best regards
Jorge
[...]
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Please read the Kicad FAQ in the group files section before posting
your question.
Post by '***@drukknop.nl' ***@drukknop.nl [kicad-users]
Please post your bug reports here. They will be picked up by the
creator of Kicad.
Post by '***@drukknop.nl' ***@drukknop.nl [kicad-users]
Please visit http://www.kicadlib.org for details of how to
contribute your symbols/modules to the kicad library.
Post by '***@drukknop.nl' ***@drukknop.nl [kicad-users]
For building Kicad from source and other development questions visit
the kicad-devel group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-devel