[kicad-users] Help with placing mounting holes
Brendan Simon Brendan@BrendanSimon.com [kicad-users]
2018-07-30 02:22:45 UTC
I've put together a very simple board (one connector and a tactile
button - woot).  I want to place some mounting holes (4 x M3) at certain
locations on 5mm grid spacing, but I want them to be symetrical around
the connector (IDC header with 0.1" pin/grid spacing).

I'm fairly sure I am doing it wrong.

I placed the origin in the centre of the connector (using a 0.025"
grid).  I then want to place mounting holes either side (e.g. +/-
40mm).  When trying to move/place the mounting hole the coordinates on
the bottom status bar do not seem to be relative to the origin (I expect
-ve values if left of the origin and positive values if right of the
origin).

So I ended up drawing thin lines on the user drawing layer, and place
them on the origin (using a 0.001mm grid).  Then I use the dimension
tool to measure out the distance I want and draw another line.  I do a
similar thing for the other axis and then place the mounting hold over
the crossing points.

I'm fairly sure I am doing it wrong and there must be a better way.

Is there a tutorial or wiki page to show how to align placement of parts
to specific locations with accuracy?

What is the normal (and easiest) way to place parts at specific (x,y)
locations or offsets?

Thanks, Brendan.
Brendan Simon Brendan@BrendanSimon.com [kicad-users]

Thanks, Brendan.
Pedro Martin pkicad@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
2018-07-30 07:39:47 UTC
Hi Brendan,

The auxiliary axis origin has no effect on the coordinates origin.

Hitting the space bar sets the relative coordinates (bottom bar, dx dy)
to (0,0) where the cursor is.

Use these relative coordinates to do your stuff with a more comfortable
grid.

Cheers,
Pedro.
Thanks, Brendan.
Andy Eskelson andyyahoo@g0poy.co.uk [kicad-users]
2018-07-30 10:44:10 UTC
One option is to place the cursor on the first hole centre, then hit the
space bar. That will zero the relative co-ords on the status line. You
can then use those to move the cursor to the next position.

Remember you can also set the system to snap to a grid line.

As has been said move exactly is another option.

Also in the properties of the hole you will find the absolute co-ords,
you could use these as well.

Andy

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:22:45 +1000