[kicad-users] crash when loading a pathless file
David Griffith dave@661.org [kicad-users]
2018-01-31 16:18:57 UTC
Suppose I have my project in /home/dave/proj/boards/foo/. I have some
custom 3D shapes that need to be distributed along with the project: for
instance, /home/dave/proj/boards/foo/pcb_push.wrl. Specifying a full path
like that will cause irritation when someone else wants to do something
with the project. Therefore I want KiCad to look for the file in the
project directory. Here's how I thought it would work:

1) Click on the footprint, then press 'e' to edit the footprint
properties.

2) Press the "3D Settings" tab.

3) Delete any files listed under "3D Shape Name".

4) Press "Add 3D Shape" and punch in your custom .wrl file; just the
filename, no path.

5) Press "OK".

6) Select Viewer->3D_Viewer.

7) I expected to see my board rendered with my custom shape, but instead,
all of KiCad crashes every time I try this.

Is there any reason why KiCad should not read a file from the project
directory? This seems like a convenient way to specify such a thing.
In any case, I think input needs to be more carefully checked, at least in
this place.
--
David Griffith
***@661.org

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Pedro Martin pkicad@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
2018-01-31 17:23:31 UTC
Hi David,

It is possible.

I create a folder called "libraries" in the project folder.
Inside "libraries" I also create 3 folders: "footprints.pretty",
"components" and "modules3D".

So we have
/home/dave/proj/boards/foo/libraries/modules3D/pcb_push.wrl

Remember to copy pcb_push.wrl to the folder modules3D.

${KIPRJMOD} is an environment variable pointing to the project. In this
case ${KIPRJMOD}==/home/dave/proj/boards/foo/

1) Click on the footprint, then press 'e' to edit the footprint properties.

2) Press the "3D Settings" tab.

3) Click Edit Filename
and change the filename to ${KIPRJMOD}/libraries/modules3D/pcb_push.wrl

and the same with each and every footprint in the library you need.

Now you can send the whole project to anyone.

Sorry: I don't like to scroll down every answering email I receive. I
like top-posting.

Regards,
Pedro.
[...]
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.