[kicad-users] Grid origin getting misaligned
David Griffith dave@661.org [kicad-users]
2018-07-12 01:22:29 UTC
I constantly run into a problem of the grid origin resetting itself. I
think it happens because I fatfinger something. Anyhow, when I realize
what happened, the grid is somehow misaligned with everything: pads,
footprint origins, etc. Now when I select the grid origin tool, I can't
get it to match up with any of the pads.

1) How can I type in the coordinates I want for the grid origin point?
2) How can I make the cursor snap to pads or footprint origins when
setting the grid origin point?
3) How can I temporarily disable resetting the grid origin point?

Application: kicad
Version: 4.0.7 release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,GCC
6.3.0,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Linux 4.9.0-6-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Boost version: 1.54.0
Curl version: libcurl/7.52.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 libidn2/0.16
libpsl/0.17.0 (+libidn2/0.16) libssh2/1.7.0 nghttp2/1.18.1 librtmp/2.3
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=OFF
USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
--
David Griffith
***@661.org

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Pedro Martin pkicad@yahoo.es [kicad-users]
2018-07-12 07:00:23 UTC

1. Dimensions -> Grid -> Origin
2. Supposing all footprints were placed with the same grid:
Edit a component and see its coordinates. Then choose those coordinates
as the grid origin.
If you want the origin on a pad instead of a footprint anchor, select
Preferences -> General -> Magtetic pads to figure out the pad's coordinates.
3. Dimensions -> Grid -> Reset grid origin
This option sets the grid origin at (0,0)

Cheers,
Pedro.
[...]
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
kicad-users-***@yahoogroups.com

Sebastien F4GRX f4grx@f4grx.net [kicad-users]
2018-07-12 07:36:49 UTC
Hello,

Same here!

This is the 's' key that sets the grid origin.

It also happens to me when I want to save my boards and miss the CTRL key. This
is annoying as HELL.

To work this around, I usually add a grid origin mark to my boards to be able to
reset it to a known position, by selecting the finest grid setting. But
sometimes the finest grid is not accurate enough! I found recently that you can
also reset it manually to known coordinates via the settings menu...

This annoying shortcut should be changed once and for all in the source code,
for the benefit of everyone using the future releases!

Sebastien

[...]
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.